Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Day in the Life of Living Simply

I had a wonderful day yesterday after a pretty rough start, so I thought I would share! 

I woke up feeling like crap.  After an hour of yoga and a long, hot shower, I was finally ready to start my day.

8:30 a.m. Made coffee, then called mom to commiserate about cramps.

9 a.m. Made breakfast and read my BBC News app

10 a.m. Gathered everything I would need for the day, and put it into a bag that would fit on the back of my bike
  • Business cards & marketing goodies
  • Client file
  • Notebook
  • A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer (to lend to a client)
  • The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin CD(DONA)
  • Lavendar vanilla massage oil & room scent
  • Rebozo
  • small purse
  • heavy sweater
  • spare tube, wrench & pump
  • water & snacks

10:30 a.m.  Left home and rode 9 miles to Chino Hills for Doula Appreciation Day at AquaNatal Birth Center


East End Avenue toward Chino Hills
Photo by Living Simply
10:50 a.m.  Not even halfway through my ride and I feel 100% better!  Physical activity produces the most awesome pain-relieving endorphins.  (Not to mention that it was an utterly gorgeous, sunny yet crisp, Southern California day)  How can you help but smile and feel well?

11:15 a.m.  Arrived at AquaNatal Birth Center, where I met many wonderful women committed to helping mamas birth the way they want to!

1:45 p.m.  Left birth center and rode a mile to catch a northbound bus.

2:10 p.m.  Got off bus and rode 2 miles to my client's house.

2:20 p.m.  Had my last prenatal meeting with clients before Baby B decides to come.

4 p.m.  Left client's house & rode two miles to catch another northbound bus.


French bread from Some Crust Bakery
Photo by Living Simply
 4:30 p.m. Got off bus and rode two miles to the Claremont Village to buy a loaf of fresh french bread from Some Crust Bakery to go with the baked penne with meat sauce I planned for dinner.

4:50 p.m.  Rode one mile home to prepare dinner and spend time with my best friend in the world!

Halfway through my long ride in the morning, this song came on my shuffle and made me smile for so many reasons.  It is such an appropriate song to describe my simple living philosophy.  And, of course, you can't go wrong with a little Harry Connick Jr. in the morning!
















Song: Nowhere With Love
Album: Come By Me
Artist:  Harry Connick Jr.

"In a way, I really don't know much at all
And if you say that I'm simple, you're on the ball
On the ball to say that I'm going nowhere
But I'm going nowhere with love

They all say that I'm not impressive at best
That's okay, I've got nobody to impress
My impression is they'd rather be elsewhere
Oh, I'm staying nowhere with love

Well, it's better to be happy in a cardboard shack
Than to be alone in a castle
All you get for your money is a heart attack
I'd just as soon alleviate the hassle

Everyday I watch the go-getters go by
Even they say that the ladder is much to high
Why should I go high, I'm happy below there
Right here in nowhere with love"

No comments:

Post a Comment