Friday, March 18, 2011

Living Simply, Simply Explained


I love life!  More specifically, I love my life! 

As my husband and I navigated the first decade of our marriage, we learned how to simplify our life, thereby giving us time to enjoy it AND each other!  We do not own a home or a car.  In fact, we don't own much of anything, and what we do possess is mostly secondhand.  The most monetarily valuable things I possess are my wedding rings.  But even they are partially secondhand, as we used the diamond from my mother-in-law's engagement ring.  90% of my wardrobe is secondhand; (underwear and hosiery account for the other 10%).  We do not have cable or a DVR or a video game system.  I rarely shop retail, (and the list of retail stores at which I do shop is getting shorter every week).  We do not have ANY credit cards.   My own two legs are my primary source of transportation (I ride my bike everywhere, though trains and buses do provide an efficient and inexpensive supplement)!  Together, we bring in between $20,000-$30,000 per year.
I fall asleep in the arms of my best friend every night and wake up there every morning.  And I am HAPPY!

We met in college where I was stage managing a production of Thornton Wilder's "Our Town."  Mr. LS auditioned and earned the role of Howie Newsome.  He also scored and played original music for the production.  We became fast friends as we learned that we shared common ideals about how we wanted to live our lives as individuals.  Interestingly enough, marriage was not in either of our plans.  I believe the reason neither of us had ever planned to marry is because we thought it was unfair to subject someone to the "starving artist" lifestyle we were prepared to lead.  We both appreciated the finite nature of our time in this world and we wanted to get as much out of that time here as possible.

The idea of simple living is not a new one by any means, but put into practice it was certainly new to us.  Having been raised in a gluttonously consumptive society, the idea of leading a simple life seemed foreign, old-fashioned, and, at times, even impossible.  The key to this kind of simple life is budgeting, which forces one to examine what one truly needs.  The more stuff you "need," the more of your time you have to sell, which results in less time to enjoy that stuff you "needed" so badly and less time to truly live.  So we figured out what we need (food & shelter) and what luxuries we just wanted (TV, cell phone, computer, microwave, fridge, etc), and we sell enough of our time (doing stuff we love, btw) to allow us those things. 

I lead a beautifully neo-bohemian lifestyle, rejecting the idea of private property, materialism and the pursuit of wealth. 

Viva la vie boheme!

I am Living Simply.

No comments:

Post a Comment